Saturday, November 14, 2009

Update on baby Eliza


I was discharged from the hospital today, but have been able to board in a small room on the mother/baby floor. This has worked out nicely. I get to keep Eliza in my room & nurse on command.
They brought in this light blanket for me to use during nursing, so she'd get light therapy even when nursing on command. I am very thankful for that, as it gave her & me some much needed cuddle time w/o the guilt of her not getting the light therapy.
At 8pm tonight her wonderful nurses took her back to the nursery to have her blood levels checked for biliruben levels. It took 1 hour to get the results back & I prayed... as did many of my friends & family.
I waited as long as I could before calling the nursery. Since I'm now a boarder in the hospital, I'm trying to make friends & not appear pushy.
As usual, they were nothing but sweet & kind. Her levels went down! That meant they didn't have to call the Dr & she doesn't have to start double light therapy. They will test her again in the morning to verify it's continuing to go down.
I hung up & cried. I am so thankful! All day, Danny & I kept saying how grateful we are to have a healthy girl & this is our only problem. But, at the end of the day, it's still hard. It's emotionally draining. It's hard on my 4 year old, who doesn't understand why Mommy & Sissy can't come home.
Right now, Eliza is in the nursery for their standard 11 pm check. They do weight, temp, & a full body check. I'm once again praying & asking everyone to do the same that she has gained some weight. This morning she weighed 6 lbs & 12 ounces. She needs to gain weight or sustain to get to go home tomorrow.
We sooo want to go home!!! We need to go home!
I feel like the luckiest person in the world.
I couldn't ask for a better husband. He's worked so hard this week to take care of Davis, Eliza, & me. He's gotten little rest & his only complaint is that he wants to do more for us.
I have the sweetest little boy. I got to spend a couple hours w/ him this evening in the hospital, just the 4 of us. I was able to watch him w/ his sister. I was able to hold him & hear about his day & night w/ Spencer. It was much needed!
I have the sweetest baby girl who I can't believe how much in love with I am. She's so precious & I love bonding w/ her & looking into her eyes. I love that I see so much of Danny in her. It just melts my heart.
Tonight I'm tired & will try to get some sleep till Eliza comes back to eat.

2 comments:

Stephanie @ dirtandlace.com said...

That is great news! I hope to hear more good news today.

Amanda Hoyt said...

Hi Amie,
Sorry I missed that Eliza had been born (Congrats on your beautiful baby girl!) and is jaundice. I'm praying that things continue to get better for all of you and especially for your sweet baby.
Many hugs,
Amanda